In order to compare generated errors, the set up in both programs must be identical. The following points detail where potential differences may lie.
- Do you have the same Magnetic data assigned to each program (Dip / Btotal / Dec)?
- Is the Wellbore set up in exactly the same way – Is the plan the same, or are the surveys entered in exactly the same way?
- Do you have the same error models assigned over the same range?
- Are the error models used in each program identical? It is worth noting that the ipm files used in Well Seeker are compatible with Compass.
- If the answer to all of the above points are yes, and the errors are still not tying in, then the easiest thing to do is supply Innova with a Compass Diagnostic file, which will contain ALL of the information required to investigate the issue. Instructions regarding where to find this file are detailed below.
To generate a Compass Diagnostic File, follow the below instructions:
- When in Compass, open the Survey tools box and check the “Diagnostics” box
- Open the relevant well, and then run an error ellipse report – Don’t worry about the report, you can just close it once it has been generated.
- Make sure that your computer is set up to show hidden files – If you don’t know how to do this, it differs between operating systems, so best to google the required steps.
- Go to the C drive and search for .txt files. This will take a while. Once the search is over, list the results with the newest at the top. The top file, should be the file you require and you can see the location based on the search.
- The generated file will be named se1.txt – Every time you create a new file, the number will increase by one.
- Once you have located this file, send it to email@example.com, along with your current database and an explanation of the issue you are having.